Small Drinking Water Systems

If your business provides drinking water to the public, it is your responsibility to make sure that the water is safe for drinking. You must notify Huron Perth Public Health (HPPH) if you own a small drinking water system. This includes any public facility where people have access to water, including:

  • Motels/hotels
  • Restaurants
  • Gas Stations
  • Churches

Small drinking water system notification

If you are a new system that has not been assessed by the health unit, you need to complete the Small Drinking Water System Identification form [PDF] and return it to us before supplying drinking water to users of the system. Contact us and we will explain your obligations under Ontario Regulation 319/08: Small Drinking Water Systems and the Health Protection and Promotion Act.

Notice of Intent to Supply Water (Seasonal or reopening after shut down)

Any existing Small Drinking Water System owner or operator who wishes to supply water to the system users after there has been a shutdown (has not been supplying water to users) of more than 60 days, must notify the Medical Officer of Health of the intent to begin to supply water.


We will arrange an inspection and review all information you need to know, including:

HPPH is required to conduct routine inspections and risk assessments of Small Drinking Water Systems:

  • at least every two years for those classified as high risk, and
  • at least every four years for those classified as moderate, low risk or posted

Every year a Small Drinking Water Systems Notification Memo will be mailed to you. This memo is to be filled out annually or when any owner or operator information about your water system has changed.

If your system is due for an inspection, there will be a “Due for Inspection” colour card attached to the memo, outlining how to prepare for an on-site inspection. Once the Small Drinking Water Systems Notification Memo form is returned, a public health inspector will follow-up with you to schedule your inspection.

What happens if you have adverse water testing results?

You must take corrective action.

Adverse test results are when you are notified by the lab or by HPPH that Total Coliforms (TC) and, or E. coli (EC) or other parameters were found in a water sample taken from your Small Drinking Water System.

Ontario Ontario Regulation 319/08: Small Drinking Water Systems states that you must report adverse water test results to HPPH immediately.