Temporary Foreign Workers

Farm Owners and Operators

Seasonal Housing Inspections

Owners and operators of farms who employ temporary foreign workers (TFWs) must support and protect TFWs currently employed and living in housing provided by the farm owner/operator as well as new TFWs who may arrive for work.

Each year, Huron Perth Public Health (HPPH) works to ensure suitable housing accommodations are provided for both domestic and foreign migrant workers. Our public health inspectors ensure that the owners of these homes follow the requirements set out by the housing guidelines for seasonal farm workers.

Our public health inspectors also work closely with seasonal work employment agencies such as Foreign Agricultural Resource management Services (FARMS) to ensure that these accommodations meet compliance prior to the workers’ arrivals. Worker safety is the overall goal.

Preventing the spread of COVID-19

Everyone working in the agriculture sector, including farm and greenhouse workers, equipment operators, maintenance workers, truck drivers and administrative staff must take measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

These measures include:

  • keeping up to date on local notices and orders
  • following procedures for newly arriving temporary foreign workers, including a 14-day self-isolation requirement
  • ensuring all temporary isolation and long-term housing accommodations are inspected by HPPH and local building and fire authorities if required before occupancy
  • following infection prevention and control practices in the workplace and in housing accommodations provided by the employer
  • ensuring daily active screening and self-monitoring for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 by all workers
  • following procedures if a worker has a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19
  • ensuring workers are educated and kept up-to-date on all requirements and health and safety concerns

COVID-19 Resources for Farmers

2021 Temporary Foreign Worker COVID-19 Program Requirements

All employers of temporary foreign workers who come from abroad are required to self-isolate all workers for a period of 14 days before they start work. You are required to submit isolation plans and obtain the Health Unit’s approval for requested workers. The information below provides steps and resources to obtain approval and make sure that all safety precautions are followed for seasonal workers and their housing arrangements.

Fact sheets for workers:

  • Temporary Foreign Workers Inspection Form
    • This form must be submitted to Huron Perth Public Health to notify the health unit of new temporary foreign worker arrivals and to request COVID-19 isolation and/or inspections of foreign worker farm housing. 
  • Worker Arrival Form [PDF]
    • Submit this form to Huron Perth Public Health within 24 hours of workers arriving to your farm (for both new arrivals and transfers). 
  • COVID-19 Seasonal Worker Wellness Check
    • Daily wellness checks must be conducted by a representative of the farm business, for all workers who are in self-isolation. Submit the Wellness Check Record to the Health Unit on Day 7 and Day 14 of the isolation period. 
  • Daily Cleaning Log


Section 22 Order: Employers of Migrant Workers

Farm workers are an essential part of our food supply chain. In order to reduce the risk of COVID-19 spread within farms who employ Temporary Foreign Workers (TFWs) or migrant workers, in Huron and Perth counties, the Huron Perth Medical Officer of Health (MOH) has issued a Section 22 order under the Health Protection and Promotion Act.

This order applies to all Huron and Perth farm owners, operators and temporary help agencies who employ migrant workers, including TFWs.

A full list of requirements are included in the official Section 22 Order.

For more information or questions about the order, please email EHResponse@hpph.ca, or contact our Duty Desk at 1-888-221-2133 (ext. 2670 for Huron inquiries, or ext. 3670 for Perth inquiries).  

Vaccine Consent Forms

Ministry of Health COVID-19 Vaccine Consent Forms:

For COVID-19 Vaccine-Relevant Information and Planning Resources in additional languages, visit the Ministry of Health's webpage:

9-1-1 Fact Sheets for Temporary and Foreign Workers

Calling 911 when you need emergency health care:

What to expect when calling 911 for a health emergency:

Additional Information

For more information on COVID-19 such as symptoms, testing, and guidance for workplaces, employers and employees, visit our Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update page. 

For resources to support farm employers and workers during the COVID-19 pandemic, including information on vaccines, testing and income supports, see the COVID-19 resources for farm employers and workers from the Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Growers’ Association. 

For multilingual COVID-19 educational resources, visit the Government of Canada's website for Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Awareness resources. Click on the resource you would like to download then select the language by using the drop-down menu on the right side of the page. 

Prevent & Control Outbreaks: Temporary Foreign Workers, Farms & COVID-19 | Workshop held July 21, 2021

Webinar hosted by HPPH, featuring speakers from Ontario Fruit & Vegetable Growers' Association, Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development, plus HPPH staff to inform businesses and provide tips on how to prevent a COVID-19 outbreak.