Immunization in Schools

To attend school in Ontario, children are required to be vaccinated against several infectious diseases. Failure to meet the vaccine requirements could result in a school suspension.

Huron Perth Public Health (HPPH) conducts immunization clinics within schools across Huron and Perth counties to help make it easier for students to stay up-to-date with their vaccinations.

Hepatitis B and HPV Immunization Catch-up Clinics
Due to COVID-19, students who were part of the grade seven cohort in the 2019/2020 school year only received one of the two doses of Hepatitis B and HPV vaccines required for full protection from these diseases. Huron Perth Public Health is holding catch-up clinics for these students from September 30 - October 3, 2020 in Huron and Perth counties. Clinics operate varying hours. If you have not received a call from us, please contact us to book an appointment for your child. To make an appointment call 1-888-221-2133 ext. 3555 (Perth) or ext. 2329 (Huron).

Huron County Hepatitis B & HPV Immunization Catch-up Clinics
Clinton October 1 | 3-6 pm Libro Community Hall | 239 Bill Fleming Drive
Clinton October 3 | 10 am - 12 pm Libro Community Hall | 239 Bill Fleming Drive
Perth County Hepatitis B & HPV Catch-up Clinics
Stratford September 30 | 3-6 pm Stratford Rotary Complex | 353 McCarthy Road
Stratford October 3 | 10 am - 12 pm Stratford Rotary Complex | 353 McCarthy Road


What do I need to know/do before my child attends the clinic?

Before the appointment

Book your appointment by contacting the Health Unit at the phone numbers listed above.

Ensure that your child wears a t-shirt and has had a snack prior to their appointment time.

We ask that only the child being immunized and one parent/guardian come to the appointment and that you come to the clinic with a clean, dry and proper fitting face mask. 

Please note: Washrooms will not be available at the clinics.

What to expect during the appointment

COVID-19 screening will be done at the time of the clinic, but if your child is experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 do not come to the appointment. Other arrangements will be made. If you are unsure of whether you should attend your appointment, contact HPPH to speak with a nurse at 1-888-221-2133 ext. 3267.

You will be asked to sanitize your hands on arrival and social distancing will be in effect at the clinic.

All students immunized will be asked to wait 15 minutes to monitor for any reaction to the vaccine.

No health cards or consent forms will be needed; HPPH staff will bring the consent forms that were previously completed in the fall.

What happens if I miss my scheduled appointment?
There are no plans for additional clinics at this time. Please check our website and social media accounts for updates.
What are your plans for immunizing 2020/21 Grade Seven students?
Huron Perth Public Health is working with the school boards to develop an immunization plan for students of the 2020-2021 school cohort. Continue checking this page for details, which will be released in the fall.

Elementary school clinics

Immunizations are offered free for students in grades 7 starting every fall at school clinics.

Grade 7 immunizations protect against:

  • hepatitis B
  • meningococcal disease (meningitis)
  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV)

Consent forms will be sent home from school with your child in September. If you don't want your child immunized, you still need to complete and return the consent form indicating your decision.

If your child is home-schooled or in special education programs, they are eligible to get these vaccines when they are 13. Contact us to make arrangements.

Hepatitis B

The hepatitis B vaccine is given twice: the first immunization is given in September or October, and the second in the spring.


Menactra protects against meningococcal diseases and is required for school attendance by law. It is one vaccine given in September or October.

If you choose not to protect your child with this vaccine, you are required to attend a vaccine exemption counselling session, and have a properly commissioned affidavit on file.

HPV vaccine

The HPV vaccine is given twice: the first dose in September or October, and the second dose in the spring.

If your child missed these vaccines when they were in grade 7 (or 8), call us to see if they qualify for the publicly funded vaccines.

Secondary school clinics

By Grade 10, most students need a booster shot against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis. This shot is required every 10 years. Students must receive this immunization in order to attend school.

Your child will be given a letter and consent form at school to inform you about upcoming high school immunization clinics. You must return the consent form to your child's school or Huron Perth Public Health.

Your child can also have this booster shot through their family doctor's office. Be sure to report the immunization to HPPH.

Vaccine exemptions

Families who choose not to protect their child with the tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis -vaccine are required to attend a vaccine exemption counselling session at the Health Unit, and have a properly commissioned affidavit on file.


Secondary school students are able to consent for themselves, but parents are encouraged to discuss this immunization with their child and take advantage of the opportunity to get this vaccine at their school. For information about consent, review the Health Care Consent Act.

What happens if I miss the clinic date?

If your child is absent from school on an immunization clinic date, we will give them the vaccine the next time we are at the school. Our nurses may also call you to make alternate arrangements.