Skip to main content Skip to footer

Immunization Exemptions

Immunization Exemptions for Children in School (K-12)

Under the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA), your child can be exempted from immunization:

  • due to conscience or religious belief 
  • for medical reasons

If you need help or any accommodations with either process, please email the Immunizations team or contact us.

If you are choosing not to immunize your child with school-required vaccines due to conscience or religious reasons, you will need to complete the following steps:

  1. View the Ontario Ministry of Health’s online Vaccine Education Video.
  2. After watching the video, complete the online form to request your Vaccine Education Certificate and submit information about you and the child(ren) you wish to exempt.
  3. You will receive the Vaccine Education Certificate for your records, either by mail or email. 
  4. Complete a Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief form for each child you wish to exempt. If you are unable to print this form, you may come in to the Clinton or Stratford West Gore site during business hours to get a paper copy.
  5. Have the form(s) witnessed by a commissioner for taking affidavits. Bring a piece of identification and your Vaccine Education Certificate with you when you have the commissioner witness your form(s).
  6. Submit the completed original form(s) to Huron Perth Public Health by mail or in person to our Clinton or Stratford | West Gore site.
  7. We will copy the form(s) and give you back the original(s). Keep the originals in a safe location in your home. 

Under the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act, persons authorized to sign affidavits for exemptions include:

  • Members of the Assembly;
  • Judges of the Court of Appeal for Ontario, the Superior Court of Justice, and the Ontario Court of Justice;
  • Justices of the peace;
  • Barristers and solicitors entitled to practice law in Ontario;
  • Licensed Paralegals;
  • Clerks, deputy clerks, treasurers, and deputy treasurers of local municipalities;
  • Administrative heads and deputy administrative heads of departments responsible for building standards, welfare, assessment or planning;
  • Heads of municipal councils, members of councils of lower-tier municipalities who are members of the council of an upper-tier municipality and members of councils of municipalities that have a population of at least 15,000;
  • Persons licensed under the Law Society Act to provide legal services in Ontario.

The Commissioner for Taking Affidavits must be identified by printing their name (lawyers must provide their law society number), full address, telephone number, title and seal (if available).

If your child cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, you will need to:

  1. Have your healthcare provider complete and sign the Statement of Medical Exemption form.
  2. Keep a copy of the completed form for your records then submit a copy to Huron Perth Public Health in one of the following ways:

Contact Us

Huron Perth Public Health

Huron Office
77722B London Road, RR #5, Clinton, ON
N0M 1L0

Perth Office
653 West Gore St., Stratford ON N5A 1L4
Toll-free 1-888-221-2133

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.